Call identifier: smartEEs12-2017 call
Project acronym: SmartEEs
Project full name: SMART Emerging Electronics Servicing DIH
Project grant agreement number: 761496
SmartEEs, a European acceleration program, is organizing an open Call for Application Experiments with the objective of providing support to Innovative Companies to access new markets and grow their businesses by integrating flexible electronics technologies into advanced products and services.
The types of activities that qualify for receiving support have to be related to industrial and societal adoption of new digital products, services and business models enabled by flexible electronics technologies (visit SmartEEs showroom):
- OLED and novel lighting – Bringing Light to your products with OLED and novel lighting
- Flexible electronics and OLED displays – Bringing Interaction to your products with OLED displays
- Organic and flexible photovoltaics – Bringing Energy to your products with organic photovoltaics
- Novel electronics and components and smart integrated systems– Bringing Intelligence to your products with novel electronics & components and integrated smart systems.
Specifically, the aims of application experiments will be:
- The transformation of a product idea into a functional product demonstrator which will be demonstrated in relevant environment with technical and non-technical services available from SmartEEs multiple cross-sectoral partnership;
- The creation of an application & business model.
Please take careful note of the following:
- A supported product idea must focus on an end-product application;
- SmartEEs support the fabrication and commercialization of only one product prototype;
- Limited number of functionalities is available for integration (limited resources, integrable in 6-9 months);
- Only technologies provided by RTOs listed in SmartEEs showroom are available for fabrication and integration into product prototype;
- The research activity and development of new materials or technologies will not be supported by SmartEEs (including proprietary solutions);
- Interested in submitting your proposal to the SmartEEs Open Call? – Contact Helpdesk to clarify and understand the actual nature of the support offered by SmartEEs before applying.
The Call will be open from 18th of December 2017 to 20th of September 2019, and applicants will be able to apply anytime. Any submitted proposal will be evaluated in the nearest cut-off (deadline: 17:00 CET).
|1st Cut-off||19th of March 2018|
|2nd Cut-off||20th of July 2018|
|3rd Cut-off||16th of November 2018|
|4th Cut-off||19th of April 2019|
|5th Cut-off||20th of September 2019|
The Call is open to:
- SMEs, start-ups and Mid-caps
- Tech (innovative companies) or non-tech (traditional industries)
- From all activities fields
|Building & architecture||Medical & pharmaceutical|
|Energy||Printing & graphic arts|
|Lighting||Textile & fashion|
Please note that the main factors determining the type of the company are staff headcount and, either, turnover or balance sheet total (see the COMMISSION RECOMMENDATION of 6 May 2003 concerning the definition of micro, small and medium-sized enterprises). If you are still not sure, please check the User Guide to the SME Definition. Please also note that the check of the type of company will be complete if your application experiment is selected for funding.
|Type of company||Staff headcount||(and)
Balance sheet total
|SME||Medium-sized||˂ 250||≤ € 50 m||≤€ 43 m|
|Small||˂ 50||≤ € 10 m||≤ € 10 m|
|Micro||˂ 10||≤ € 2 m||≤ € 2 m|
In order to be eligible for this Call, your company will also have to be established in one of the eligible countries. Please check the list of countries in the attached document.
All applicants to the SmartEEs program will get access to more than 35 flexible electronics technologies, such as organic photovoltaics, flexible displays, OLED lighting, electronics & components or integrated smart systems to integrate as advanced features/functions inside new products.
The winners of the Call will benefit from SmartEEs unique ecosystem composed of leading research organizations, recognized experts in business development and access to funding, as well as more than 34 international clusters, 18 industrial partners and 8 private organizations.
The selected Innovative Companies will be provided customized support through a complete set of services from technology to business connections and access to funding beyond SmartEEs acceleration support.
With SmartEEs, Innovative Companies will benefit from freedom in design, high flexibility in functions integration and the agility of flexible electronics to make the difference in the marketplace.
The budget available for an Application Experiment is up to 165 k€:
- 80 k€ (max.) worth of technical and non-technical services delivered directly by SmartEEs.
- 60 k€ (max.) Voucher assigned to the Innovative Company.
- 25 k€ (max.) In-kind contribution (own funding) from the Innovative Company. Can be the input of labour, and materials time to the Project.
Detailed information about the SmartEEs services, voucher, and cost eligibility can be found in the Service Delivery Agreement and SmartEEs Financial Guidelines for Application Experiments .
Please also note that funding will not be awarded to individual legal entities that have already received more than 100.000 Euro via open calls (FSTP) from H2020 I4MS and SAE projects.
Any submitted proposal will be evaluated in the nearest cut-off by the Evaluation Panel composed of 4 evaluators. All proposals will be evaluated (scores ranging from 0 to 5) according to the following criteria:
The maximum overall score is 15. The standard threshold for individual criteria is 3, and the standard overall threshold, applying to the sum of the three individual scores, is 9. The average of the 4 scores given by evaluators per section and total will be calculated for each proposal. Proposals failing to achieve the threshold score per individual criteria and the overall threshold will be rejected. Proposals will be ranked according to the overall scores in descending order.
The most successful proposals, having passed the evaluation, will be offered the chance to negotiate and define a Joint Implementation Plan with the Service Delivery Manager assigned by SmartEEs.
Evaluation will be returned approximately 4 weeks from submission deadline. The entire process from proposal submission until the end of service delivery could take from 9 to 12 months in the case that your proposal is selected for funding.
If you are interested in applying to the Call, please follow the steps listed below before submitting your application.
- Check out the SmartEEs Showroom on the web platform smartees.eu
- Discover & review more than 35 flexible electronics technologies
- Select & identify the technology(ies) that could bring advanced features/functions to your novel product idea
- Download & read Application Guidelines
- Register through the submission software at https://apply.smartees.eu ,
- Download Application Form from the software
- Complete the Application Form, save it as a PDF file (MAX 5 pages), uploaded it and submit it through the submission software.
We will accept only applications in English language.
If you need assistance with applying to the Call, or explanations about technology offerings and your possibilities with SmartEEs, please send us your enquiries by phone to: +420 226 217 422 or by email to firstname.lastname@example.org . Helpdesk will be active Monday – Friday from 9 a.m. to 17.00 p.m. We will be happy to help you.
Upon reception of the feedback, applicants will have the possibility to submit to the SmartEEs Evaluation Panel complaints related to decisions of proposal evaluation and selection, if there is an indication that there has been a shortcoming in the way a proposal has been evaluated. The complaint procedure is not meant to call into question the judgement made by the evaluators; it will look at procedural shortcomings and – in rare cases – into factual errors.
Such complaint requests should be raised within 7 working days from the date of the evaluation feedback sent by the SmartEEs Helpdesk. If a complaint is submitted after that deadline it will be rejected without further examination.
Complaint requests sent by applicants must be:
- related to the evaluation process;
- sent by email to SmartEEs Helpdesk;
- received within the specified time limit specified.
An initial reply will be sent to complainants no later than two weeks after the deadline for complaint requests. This initial reply will indicate when a definitive reply will be provided.
A complaint committee may be convened to examine the peer review evaluation process for the case in question. The committee’s role is to ensure a coherent interpretation of requests and equal treatment of applicants. The complaint committee itself, however, will not re-evaluate the proposal, but it will examine the admissibility of the complaints, the legality of the actions against which the complaints are launched and factual arguments and claims of the complaints. Depending on the nature of the complaint, the committee may review the evaluation report and individual comments. In the light of its review, the committee will recommend a course of action. If there is clear evidence of a shortcoming that could affect the eventual funding decision, it is possible that all or part of the proposal will be re-evaluated. Unless there is clear evidence of a shortcoming there will be no follow-up, or re-evaluation.
- This procedure is concerned with the evaluation process.
- The committee will not call into question the judgment of the individual evaluators.
- A re-evaluation will only be carried out if there is evidence of a shortcoming that affects the quality assessment of a proposal. This means, for example, that a problem relating to one evaluation criterion will not lead to a re-evaluation if a proposal has failed anyway on the other criteria.
- The evaluation score following any re-evaluation will be regarded as definitive. It may be lower than the original score.
- Only one complaint request per application experiment will be considered by the committee.
- All complaint requests will be treated confidentially.